Postpartum Depression Treatment in Dallas, TX
What is Postpartum Depression?
Postpartum depression (PPD) is a serious condition that may occur in the first several months after childbirth. It is often brought about by changes in hormone levels, but there are other issues that can increase the chance of women getting postpartum, including:
- Inadequate support from your partner, family or friends
- Having a history of depression
- Having a colicky or sick baby
- Increased amount of stress in your life
Signs and Symptoms
Though the severity of symptoms usually depends on the woman, the most common symptoms of postpartum depression are:
- Loss of energy and motivation to do everyday tasks
- Feeling sad a majority of the time
- Showing little interest in your baby
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Drastic changes in appetite
Your Treatment Options
Treating postpartum depression is similar to treating other kinds of depression. Talk therapy and medications are the most common treatment options, but there are also ways women experiencing postpartum depression can heal themselves.
Finding people to help with child care, taking time for yourself and being honest with how much you can do in a day is important to enjoying the first few months of being a mother.
Consult Dr. Crable today if you feel you may have postpartum depression.